Our first week was a survived quite nicely, thank you. As I mentioned, my students are very sweet and very eager to please. They are particularly concerned about making sure I’m happy and that they are doing their jobs. We accomplished a lot this week. Academic highlights included:
- teaching a lot of procedures
- starting our read-a-loud book, The Sisters Grimm
- reading The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant as a way to get the kids starting writing about a trip they have taken. We create a timeline and then convert the timeline to an outline and then we start writing.
- completed a multiple intelligences survey
- completed our diagnostic math placement test
- did some team building and getting to know each other activities
I’m feeling very optimistic about this year. There are worries, of course. But I think we’re going to have a fun year.
On a personal note, I’m very pleased about the way that I’m managing to keep a real balance between home and school so far this year. It was a goal last year and I was somewhat successful at it last year. I’m going to keep working on it this year. Having a family helps me keep that goal clealy in mind. But, it’s not easy.
I do, however, have my pretty toenails to keep me on track!